Monday, April 3, 2017

Creating Intentions

WHAT?!! Me teach how to create and manifest intentions? Did I say that???

That was my thought, after I did NOT manifest the home into which I wanted to move, and now it was time to write about that very topic, which I promised to do in my first blog.

Fortunately, my thoughts only lasted a nanosecond, as the song’s refrain continuously ran through my head “ya can’t always get what you wa-ant”.

Our spiritual teachers and masters say that our thoughts create reality. Whatever thoughts we give power to will be our reality, whether it’s the big stories we tell ourselves from our family, culture, traditions, environment, or our everyday thoughts, judgments, or negative feelings. This is true and I have used these teachings to others many times. I know you have experienced your “story” repeating itself and learning those lessons repeatedly, just as I have.

I have also taught that creating intentions a la “The Secret” can be overly exaggerated in our world of material possessions and pursuit of pleasure. The idea of “I want a new house so I’m putting it out to the universe” to get what we want. To follow up on this manifestation process, we may create vision boards or other visualization tools, write best intentions, say prayers or affirmations, place crystals in the right place or on our bodies, perform rituals, think positive thoughts, place ourselves in higher vibrations, etc. etc. etc.

What happens when you do all that work and it doesn’t work??? What if the universe does not have that in mind for you? The expression comes to mind “We make plans, God laughs”.

I certainly won’t dismiss the power to manifest and create our lives. But as Robert Masters writes about in his book Spiritual Bypassing, we should not avoid dealing with painful feelings, unresolved issues, and developmental needs. We must be aware and conscious enough to dive in and ask ourselves those deeper questions, and willing to do the personal work of transformation. Why do I really want this? Does my intention align with my own attributes and values? How will it serve me? What changes will occur and how will I handle them? We cannot be blinded by the Light. Both the psychological and spiritual avenues are to be explored and aligned to live a fully realized, conscious and whole life.

So can I give you tips? Of course! Read Wayne Dyer’s book The Power of Intention, one that I refer to often for co-creating with the universe, especially his “7 Faces of Intentions”. Then in addition to all those manifestation tools mentioned above, here are some good ones I have learned…

~ Be an activist for yourself – you can’t just sit back and have the desire for something without planning the goals and steps.

~ Break the goals and steps into manageable tasks, and DO them. Congratulate yourself each time you do!

~ Check in with your heart, not your head. Ask yourself the important questions each step of the way to see if it’s still working. Trust the answers. Be open to changing it or dropping it.

~ Be prepared for the changes that may come along with the intention; it may not appear as you imagined it. In fact, it probably won’t!

~ Be ready for the laughing part. The universe will conspire with you for what you want but may offer all sorts of synchronicities and signs that will remind you to pay attention to the authentic part of you, the part that lives from your heart and soul, and the lessons you need to learn through the process.

~ Finally, practice acceptance. Surrendering and learning to live with “what is” allows us to transform our thoughts into the present moment. It can relieve stress and anxiety. In the moment, offer yourself compassion, gentleness and love.

~ Be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment